Friday 6 June 2014

Friday June 6th 2014: Wind in the Willows games and D Day commemoration

This morning after our weekly tests we tried out the Wind in the Willows board games we devised a few weeks ago....





Later we talked about the D Day landings as today is the 70th anniversary of the Allied invasion. We heard some of the veterans talking about their experiences on the BBC website and wrote our own diary entries as if we had taken part in the operation ourselves.



One of the children wrote: ' I felt terrified, my heart was beating so fast, my friends are frightened too. I hope me and my friends survive. We could hear the guns and we were frightened even more.'

Another wrote: 'I am on the boat in the choppy sea ready to fight. I can see bombed boats on fire, the flames fierce. Terrified, I ran off the boat onto the beach. I remember the times when I used to go to the beach, the sand soft and warm between my toes, but this is different. The sand isn't the same, it flies around in the air rapidly controlled by the howling wind.

I felt petrified. I think of my family back home, how anxious they must feel about me in my house in England where it's safe. Bullets come speeding past me and smoke that makes me cough. I was only 18 and at that age you are as terrified as you ever could be. I wished each second that I could be home.'

Also, 'Terrifying I saw the French coast. 

My boat felt like it was going to tip over. 

Sadly I know lots of people who were dying. People went to fight, they were 18. Before I went I was so excited but when I was coming I wanted to go home. When the war was over we were all very happy it was over. I try counting how many people  but I was too cold and frightened.'



Mrs Andrew was so impressed by what the children had written she asked Mr King to come into class and listen to them being read out.




















No comments:

Post a Comment